BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday 27 May 2011

Harry Potter Vs. twilight. Let battle commence....

So today instead of revising, I re-read Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. It wasn't as bad as I remember it.... In fact I rather enjoyed it.... No, I haven't gone mad. And NO, I haven't betrayed Harry Potter (which I still prefer by miles, and miles, and more miles and maybe a couple more metres....) but, I don't see why their fans can't get on. I'm going to write four lists, Pro's and Con's of each series and then say which I prefer. Just realised I've already told you that, so theres no real reason to keep reading, but please do.... OH, and if your one of the few people who haven't read the books, or seen the films, then beware, spoilers ahead...

Pro's of Twilight
  1. Sparkly vampires. Enough said really. They're vampires, who sparkle. If thats not positive, I don't know what is.
  2. Taylor Lautner and Robert Pattinson in the films. Nothing really to do with the books, but the films would be terrible if it weren't for the occasional fit guy shirtless scene. 
  3. The books almost make you want to be a vampire. They aren't the vile, horrible human blood-sucking things usually thought of. Stephanie Meyer has made the Cullens seem pretty much perfect; they're beautiful, they're rich (Alice's foreseeing talent working its best), they're strong, the list goes on and on, and on.... This makes the 'humans' in the book seem fragile and weak, so we feel like the only way to survive is to become a Vampire (which it true in some ways. Edward doesn't agree...).
  4. The book is written from Bella's point of view. This means that it sounds like Edward and Jacob and Mike and Tyler and Eric are all in love with us. Not complaining at all.
Con's of Twilight
  1. Its written from Bella's point of view. This means we have to put up with the constant complaints about the weather, how Edward hates her, how Edward loves her too much, pretty much everything. I pretty much hate Bella. She makes the stupidest decisions, all she does is complains, and goes on about how bad her life is. So annoying.
  2. Theres some very questionable spellings and grammar.....Is "handsomer" a word? (page 52, third last paragraph). "We walked back the way we'd come?" Come? Shouldn't that have been 'came'? (End of chapter four) 
  3. The story lines a bit predictable - I knew that Edward was a vampire before I'd even picked up the book.
  4. Nothing really happens. Its hard to explain, but many of the chapters seem to be dedicated to the weather...
  5. It would look weird if anyone other than a teenage girl were reading this. I can't imagine many middle-aged men enjoying them. Though, there is that one scene in Breaking Dawn....."why am I covered in feathers?"....
Now, I can talk for hours and hours about Harry Potter, so I'm going to try and keep this short...


Pro's of Harry Potter
  1. The storyline is unpredictable and changes with every book. Deathly Hallows in particular has loads of twists and turns. 
  2. The books show that no one is all good, or all evil and that people have both of these sides. This makes the characters much more three dimensional, unlike Twilight where characters tend to be only good, or only evil. 
  3. It fits in with the 'muggle' world. The contrasts between the Dursley's house and the Weasley's, for example, are believable. If you know what I mean. 
  4. J.K.Rowling's writing style. She deliberately didn't use metaphors or similes. Writing genius? Yes, I think so...
  5. The films are amazing. That is all.
  6. Has way more fans. According to facebook, the official Harry Potter page has 12,524,445 'likes' while Twilight only has 9,673,347 'likes'. Harry Potter has a musical dedicated to it, which is AMAZING.
Con's of Harry Potter
  1. J.K.Rowling made me wait years for the next book. By the time I discovered Twilight, the books were all out in paperback. Though, this is no fault of her own...
  2. They can get a little tedious when there are long spells of nothing happening. (I just got excited because I used the word 'spells' when talking about Harry Potter....) Admittedly, this doesn't happen often, but for example, half of the seventh book is like this - but, then again, its followed by the best ending I think I've ever read.
  3. I'm struggling to think of any more....
So, if we add together the totals (number of Pro's minus the number of Con's), Twilight scores a grand total of -1, while Harry Potter scores a grand total of +4. Meaning that HARRY POTTER WINS.  Yey! So if for some bizarre reason you haven't read either of these series, read Harry Potter. Or, you could read Twilight first, then read Harry Potter immediately after, it'll make you appreciate the correct spellings more...

2 comments:

  1. Agreed! Well, although I haven't read the Twilight series, I am definitely a Harry Potter fan all the way. I just don't think I can bring myself to reading the Twilight series... :)
    Great blog and insight, by the way!

    http://inquisitivethinking-melody.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that everyone should read both of them, Twilight isn't too bad if you stop comparing it to Harry Potter. Harry Potter is just too amazing for any other series to contend with.... :)

    ReplyDelete